What are Skin Tags, Moles, And Warts?
- Skin tags are common and harmless skin-colored growths that hang off the skin. They usually form with age and vary in size and color. They are made up of loose collagen fibers and blood vessels. Skin tags are most commonly found in areas of friction, such as on the neck, armpits, around the groin, or under the breasts, but they may also appear on the eyelids or under the folds of the buttocks. People that are overweight, have diabetes, or are pregnant can develop skin tags more easily.
- Moles are very common, benign growths on the skin that are usually a dark shade color. They may appear anywhere on the skin at any stage of your life. The formation of moles occurs when cells, known as melanocytes, grow in the skin in a cluster rather than spread throughout the skin. Some moles change color after exposure to the sun, during puberty, or during pregnancy.
- Warts are harmless skin growths caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). Most warts are usually skin-colored and have a raised appearance, but some are dark, flat, or smooth. Warts are formed when the virus comes into contact with the open areas in the skin and causes an infection. Because warts are highly contagious, hands and feet are common areas of infection. In particular, warts on your feet can become extremely painful in shoes and limit your mobility range. Children tend to get warts much more often than adults due to their undeveloped immune systems.
Skin tags, moles, and warts are common but unwelcome skin conditions can often reduce your self-esteem. Over-the-counter and independent remedies often produce disappointing results. When it comes to warts, using medications to treat them can be ineffective because the thick layers of skin make it hard for medicine to reach the virus that causes them. Traditional “freezing” methods are super painful and often ineffective as well. Fortunately, laser technology for cosmetic use is now accessible for addressing unsightly skin conditions that affect your confidence.
Laser treatments use beams of light to get rid of these undesirable skin growths. Depending on your needs, you can expect the laser treatment to work in the following ways:
- Removing skin tags: The simple and effective laser treatment for skin tags involves a thin and highly focused beam of light. The depth of beam penetration can be adjusted to your individual needs. The laser quickly reaches the root of the skin tags without harming surrounding tissue, thereby reducing the risk of scarring.
- Removing moles: To eliminate moles with the Fotona laser, the laser is passed over the mole to break apart the pigment. This causes the mole to be destroyed and shed away, without damage to the skin.
- Removing warts: Lasers are the fastest and most effective way to remove warts. The Nd:YAG laser by Fotona destroys the virus so that the blood supply is cut off to the wart without damaging the surrounding skin. Unlike most procedures in the market, this laser treatment is able to remove the wart from the inside out.
Laser treatments for skin tags, moles, and warts are generally fast and effective. They do not require downtime or a recovery period, however, the number of treatments required to remove them, and their effectiveness will vary depending on your aesthetic goals.
If you are curious about our laser treatments and how they can improve your appearance and confidence, Philosophy Of Beauty is conveniently located in North York and serving Vaughan, Thornhill and the Greater Toronto Area. If you’re interested in learning more about how we can help you achieve your aesthetic goals, please give us a call at 905-669-0306 to schedule a consultation. We look forward to discussing your unique needs and providing you with exceptional care.